Thursday, March 02, 2006

Another sad situation

Well, not really sad in that I'm broken hearted over the NFL's labor issues. It's sad that neither side could agree on $$. Did you all see what happened to the NHL, they missed a whole season and eventually the owners punked the players. Sure, NFL contracts aren't garaunteed so if you get hurt, you don't get paid, which leads players to over value themselves and try to get as much money as possible quickly. Of course it's not just owners vs players, its also owners vs owners. Some thing called revenue sharing is also an issue and about eight owners would greatly benefit from not having to share the wealth. Kinda sounds like baseball. Honestly, I could care less about the details of the issues. My point is that some very talented players, who perhaps are over paid, will be cut as a result of no new collective bargaining agreement. Teams will soon begin cutting big name players and I'm not sure if there will be a team for them unless they suck it up and take a huge pay cut. There's only a handful of teams that have a good amount of money to spend and they were all really bad teams, including my Browns. What's even more interesting is in 2007 there will be no salary cap so teams like the Cowboys and Redskins can write big fat checks to whomever they want to purchase a championship. Of course, I'm sure there will be some kinda downfall after that year because, if a new CBA is finally agreed upon, they'll have to purge again to get under the cap. Oh, and the players can walk if they want. I didn't mind the replacement players in 1987. I stilled watched every game. But the weird thing is, I don't hear much from players. It seems to be a battle between the union and owners and not really involving the players. Baseball and hockey players were very vocal about their labor issues and really came off as greedy, overpaid and selfish people. We'll see what happens I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home